ContentMine was founded in 2016 as a UK non-profit company limited by guarantee. Our mission is to establish content mining for research and for education as widespread philosophy and practice through:
- creating computer programs, protocols, practises, standards and educational materials that enable content mining,
- training researchers and others in content mining,
- encouraging research institutions and funders of research to support establishing freedom for anyone to engage in computational analysis of books, journals, databases and other knowledge sources for the purposes of education and research.
We develop open source software for mining the scientific literature and engage directly in supporting researchers to use mining, saving valuable time and opening up new research avenues.
For information, please visit http://contentmine.org/jobs
We are seeking an Operations Manager to take overall operational responsibility for ContentMine’s development and execution of its mission, reporting to the Board of Directors and working closely with the ContentMine Founder, Dr Peter Murray-Rust. The successful candidate will develop deep knowledge of our core focus, operations, and business development opportunities and manage the transition of the organisation from a project to a sustainable non-profit with oversight of all major business areas from fundraising to communications and HR.
£40-45k pro rata, negotiable.
Time and Location
4 days per week, fixed term contract for four months in the first instance, with renewal subject to funding. The candidate should be a UK or EU national, remote working possible but candidates in easy travelling distance of Cambridge are preferred.
Leadership and Management:
- Ensure ongoing excellence in delivery of the ContentMine mission, including program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, Manage fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
- Actively engage and energize ContentMine board members, contractors, collaborators, Fellows, volunteers and funders.
- Ensure effective systems to track progress, evaluate program components and report to the Board and funders.
Fundraising and Communications:
- Expand revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and planned developments.
- Oversee and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations, with the goal of creating a stronger brand based on a recent graphical design exercise.
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities.
Planning and New Business:
- Build partnerships with research-oriented organisations including groups and institutes, scholarly societies and NGOs.
- Establish relationships with potential collaborators and philanthropic funders.
- Write grant applications and tender for client contracts.
- Manage relationships and work allocations with partner organisations and contractors who bring new skills and capabilities to projects.
The Operations Manager will be thoroughly committed to ContentMine’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership and relationship management experience. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
- At least 5 years of management experience; track record of effectively leading an outcomes-based organization.
- Ability to point to specific examples of having developed and actioned strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth.
- Commitment to delivering quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
- Excellence in organisational management including developing high-performance teams, setting and achieving strategic objectives, and managing a budget.
- Fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders, partiuclarly in the academic, non-profit, research and publishing sectors.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable approach to business planning.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Passion, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven and self-directed focus are all desirable.
Please submit a cover letter and CV to email@example.com by 2 Dec 2016. Interviews will be held by the 9 Dec. Informal enquiries should be directed to Dr Peter Murray-Rust (firstname.lastname@example.org).